Happy Monday, friends. We’ve been keeping an eye on Isaac’s path for a few days – today we’ll take a peek at how Isaac is affecting the Walt Disney World Resort. Click the link to the right to join us on Twitter at @Spin_The_World for updates throughout the day.
Sunday will see the worst of what Isaac will offer in Central Florida. It’s a wee bit after noon, and thus far Isaac has been little more that mild wind and heavy rain. In fact, weather we are accustomed to here in the Nations vacation capital. The rain and wind will be a little more consistent than our usual 3 p.m. 15-minute downpour. Weather is expected to worsen during the day, easing up in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
If you are vacationing with us – expect to see rain and wind for the next 2-3 days as Isaac moves North.
Here is what is going on at Disney World:
- Hurricanes are unpredictable, and although unlikely, can shift direction quickly. Precautions are always in effect here at Disney World – from park evacuation routes to designated shelter areas in parks and resorts. Your best course of action – stay informed. Download a weather app to your phone, and stay updated.
- Disney World transportation is operating normally as of this writing. As weather worsens today, guests can and should expect delays. During very severe weather, ferry-boat and (much more unlikely) monorail operation could be suspended. Ask a transportation, or Front Desk Cast Member, for any delays or cancellations. Advice: Leave yourself some extra time. Have a 5 p.m. reservation at Le Cellier? Leave 2 hours in advance.
- Expect some attractions and outdoor shows to be cancelled today. Some of our favorites like Flights of Wonder at Animal Kingdom, or Hollywood Studios’ Lights, Motors, Action! will not play during poor weather. Ask at the main gate for any show/attraction cancellations. Some indoor attractions, like Soarin’, or the Rock N’ Roller Coaster may have longer line-ups today as guests avoid the rain and wind. For the safety of the performers, parades may also be delayed, or cancelled. In very extreme cases, Wishes and Illuminations may be cancelled as well.
- Worst Park to attend today award goes to: Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It’s my favorite park, so it pains me to say this. With so much of the parks beauty outside, there will not be much to do. And, as some animals will be kept inside as a precaution, there may not be much to look at. So, unless you REALLY enjoy It’s Tough to Be a Bug – try a different park.
- Staying in? Grab supplies from your in-resort shop. Most will have food, water, wine, beer, snacks and games, and DVDs to keep the family content. There is also the oddly addictive Disney pizza that can be delivered to your room for a charge (or 2 dining credits, if you’re on the DDP). A few local pizza-slingers will deliver to Disney World as well – Papa Johns, Flippers, and Pizza Hut. Inquire about movie rentals, or video game console rentals from the front desk as many resorts offer these luxuries.
- For first time visitors: know the lay-of-the-land. Take note on where the closest shelter is. It may be a restaurant, merchandise location, or an attraction. Either way, a dry building is never more than a few steps away. Bring your own jacket, or umbrella. In a bind, you can purchase ponchos and umbrellas from most Disney merchandise locations.
- and finally…
There is no greater and unstoppable force on Earth than a Disney World guest. It certainly takes more than the measly outskirts of a hurricane to stop them. And Disney World has operated in much worse that rain and wind. There is always something to do – make the most of it. Have fun and be safe!
And while you’re out there – please take some photographs for us. We want to know how you spent your time with Isaac. Send the stories, tips, and photos to email@example.com